The details of the realignment are as follows:
1． Domestic Japanese steel cord production sites will be consolidated into the Saga Plant
The Bridgestone Group currently produces steel cord used in the manufacture of tires at two sites in Japan: the Kuroiso Plant and the Saga Plant. By consolidating the company’s domestic steel cord production to the Saga Plant, Bridgestone will enhance production efficiencies and strengthen its global competitiveness.
Consolidation of two plants will begin immediately, and is expected to be completed in late September 2014.
2． Closure of the Kuroiso Plant
Upon completion of the Saga Plant consolidation, the Kuroiso Plant will be closed. Closure of the Kuroiso
Plant is expected to occur in late September 2014.
Bridgestone has implemented a number of initiatives to help strengthen the competitiveness and overall profitability of the Kuroiso Plant. However, due to intense competition in the steel cord production industry and ongoing competitiveness issues at the plant, the decision was made to close the Kuroiso facility and consolidate production to the Saga Plant.
To meet the growing demand for tires and rubber products, the Bridgestone Group will continue to enhance its global product supply system so the group can respond rapidly to market demand trends and continue to supply our customers with high-quality products in a timely manner.
- Location : 800 Shimonakano Nasushiobara-shi Tochigi
- Start of operation : January 1971
- Plant Representative : Hiroto Tanaka
- Number of employees : 355 employees (planned for the end of December 2013)
- Production capacity :Steel cord: Approximately 135 tons per day / Approximately 47,000 tons per year
Hose wire: Approximately 18 tons per day / Approximately 6,200 tons per year
Bead wire: Approximately 85 tons per day /
Approximately 29,000 tons per year (as of January 2013)
- Site area : Approximately 349,000m2
- Location : 2100 Kamimine-cho Tsutsumi Miyaki-gun Saga
- Start of operation : March 1982
- Plant Representative : Yasuyuki Tamura
- Number of employees : 539 employees (planned for the end of December 2013)
- Production capacity : Steel cord: Approximately 263 tons per day / Approximately 90,000 tons per year
Cable bead wire: Approximately 2 tons per day /
Approximately 700 tons per year (as of January 2013)
- Site area : Approximately 234,000m2
About Bridgestone EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa)
Bridgestone EMEA, with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo-based Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tyre and rubber company. Bridgestone EMEA operates in more than 60 countries and has over 18200 employees. Across the region it has 14 tyre and tyre related plants, a major R&D Centre and a proving ground. Bridgestone EMEA’s premium tyres are sold in Europe, Middle East, Africa and globally.