Bridgestone Corporation announced today that it will increase the production capacity of its Kitakyushu Plant for large and ultralarge off-the-road radial tires for construction and mining vehicles (large and ultralarge ORRs). The increased production capacity will help the Bridgestone Group to meet the growing global demand for these products. The plan calls for production capacity to be increased by approximately 20 tons per day, to approximately 165 tons per day, in the first half of 2014. In addition, the Bridgestone Group has decided to increase its production capacity of its Saga Plant for steel cord used in large and ultralarge ORRs. The total investment will be approximately ¥4.7 billion.
Bridgestone’s large and ultralarge ORRs, which utilize the Group’s advanced technical capabilities, are highly regarded in the marketplace, and demand is expected to be strong over the medium to long term due to increased mining production worldwide. To meet this growing demand, the Group not only plans to implement phase 3 of the expansion of its Kitakyushu Plant to start in the second half of 2012, but also to build a new plant in Aiken County, South Carolina, U.S., to produce large and ultralarge ORRs with tire production scheduled to begin in the first half of 2014, as announced on September of 2011.
However, the Group determined that it would need to implement a further expansion of the Kitakyushu Plant to meet customer demand promptly.
Moving forward, the Group will build a production system that can continually respond rapidly to changes in market demand trends and can supply customers with world-class quality products on a timely basis.
Overview of Kitakyushu Plant
Overview of Saga Plant
- Location: 2-2-2, Hibiki-cho, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka Prefecture
- Products: Large and ultralarge ORRs
- Plant director: Satoshi Yoshizaki
- Site area: Approximately 206,000 square meters
- Date production began: June 2009
- Number of employees: 329 (as of the end of December 2011)
- Production capacity: Approximately 90 tons per day (as of the end of December 2011)
- Location: 2100, Tsutsumi, Kamimine-cho, Miyaki-gun, Saga Prefecture
- Products: Steel cord for radial tires
- Plant director: Yoshihiro Miyoshi
- Site area: Approximately 230,000 square meters
- Date production began: March 1982
- Number of employees: 495 (as of the end of December 2011)
- Production capacity: Approximately 270 tons per day (as of the end of December 2011)
About Bridgestone Europe
Bridgestone Europe (BSEU), with European headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, is a key regional subsidiary of Tokyo-based Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest manufacturer of tyres and other rubber products. Bridgestone Europe operates an R&D center, 8 plants and offices in more than 30 European countries, with over 13,000 employees. BSEU’s premium tyres are sold both within Europe and globally.