Under the current schedule, the Wuxi Plant will begin production at its increased capacity in May 2012. The Wuxi Plant will make a total investment of approximately 563 million yuan (approximately ¥8.3 billion), which will boost the plant’s production capacity by 4,100 tyres per day, enabling it to produce a total of 16,300 tyres per day.
The Bridgestone Group particularly plans to expand the production capacity of eco-friendly tyres, such as “ECOPIA” brand tyres.
The expansion in production capacity at the Wuxi Plant is part of the Bridgestone Group’s strategy to bolster its ability to meet the growing demand for radial passenger tyres in China. At the same time, the Group is developing systems to enhance its “speed to market” which will improve its ability to quickly meet the product needs of its customers in the Chinese market.
- Location: Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, China (approximately 120 km west of Shanghai)
- Company name: Bridgestone (Wuxi) Tyre Co., Ltd.
- Representative: Michitoshi Sorioka
- Ownership: Bridgestone Corporation—100% (including indirect investment)
- Plant Site: Approximately 290,000 square meters
- Products: Radial tyres for passenger vehicles
- Start of Operation: July 2004
- Number of Employees: 1,078 (as of end of June 2011)
About Bridgestone EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa)
Bridgestone EMEA, with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo-based Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tyre and rubber company. Bridgestone EMEA operates in more than 60 countries and has over 18200 employees. Across the region it has 14 tyre and tyre related plants, a major R&D Centre and a proving ground. Bridgestone EMEA’s premium tyres are sold in Europe, Middle East, Africa and globally.